Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cougar Mania!

A recent New York Times article on cougars has gotten lots of attention.  You might ask, "Are there cougars in Enchanted Rock SNA?" 

Good question!  I have spoken with people who have seen cougars in both Llano County and Gillespie County, so the answer has to be maybeFor my part, I hope there is occasionally a cougar in the park.  As the main character in Enchanted Rock Blue(s) says, "Its important to know that we aren't always the top of the food chain.  It makes us less arrogant." 

Texas Parks and Wildlife has a good field guide about cougars, and there is a group called The Cougar Network which provides lots of information from a scientific perspective.  Meanwhile, as writer Edward Abbey said (paraphrased, I can't find this exact quote):

"I've always wanted to meet a cougar on the trail, mano a mano . . . . . . but not just yet."

If anyone reading this has a story about cougars in or near the park, I would love to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, years ago (late 1990s/early 2000s), when I lived in San Antonio, I used to spend a lot of time at Enchanted Rock. Once when a friend was visiting from Australia, we went "off rock" and started hiking through the area an climbing other rocks (which I don't think you're supposed to do, but we didn't know any better at the time). At one point, far off in the distance (1/4 mile I would guess), we spotted a large, longish mammal with a very long, thick tail, and a small head. It purposefully moved away from us, in a steady, slightly sped up motion, taking quick side glances at us, as it moved away.

    We didn't know at the time, and even today, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain it was a mountain lion. That has been more than 15 years ago, and I still remember it to this day. We were more puzzled and mesmerized than afraid. The cat moved on so quickly, away from us, it was a surprising and fleeting encounter with nature.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your feedback, thanks!